Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Backyard Spectacular

I love the 4th of July because of family and friends! (is it wrong that they came to my mind way before my country?? Disclaimer: I AM patriotic!) But when I realized for the second year in a row we couldn't go to OK for the long weekend, I knew I must devise a plan to keep me preoccupied here in hot springs. I didn't really feel we could do much outside because of little JJ but inside things, like movies and bowling, were ruled out because of our live wire, Birdie. So, the backyard spectacular was born! Thank God for Family Fun magazine. Anything cute or creative I do, I've found or modified from that publication. We waited until Monday and worked outside after the girls went to bed on Sunday night so there were little surprises in the morning. It felt like Christmas! We bought a little pool and Brent crafted a sprinkler area out of PVC pipe. (like Christmas, he lost his cool a little the night before when he realized he glued it together wrong and I poorly supressed nervous giggles when he fired it up the next day and it trickled out of half the holes rather than sprayed out of all.) but, honestly, it was perfect for Birdie. Just her speed. I sprayed painted Twister circles on the grass.

Early Monday morning, Beatle climbed into bed and said, "mom, I can't believe it's red, white and blue day!" I made blue biscuits and we revealed everything. It was an amazing day, ending with the girls (and JJ) wearing homemade t-shirts, eating festive ice cream sandwiches Beatle and I made, and watching the tiny fireworks show BR put on. Even though we weren't where I traditionally think I should be on the 4th, we were able to manufacture the same feelings I've had on the 4th for the last 15 years.

Tonight, we were going to Bedtime Stories at the library for the first time and Beatle kept telling me that one of her friends told her that they have cookies and milk afterward. I told her that I wasn't sure and she kept insisting. Finally she said, "seriously mom, how would they keep all of those kids entertained--by just sitting around and reading a BOOK?" haha! She really does like books; she just likes cookies exponentially more! I couldn't help but share that with the children's librarian, who is a close friend of ours. Luckily, she thought it was funny too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment