Thursday, March 24, 2011

Had to go to San Diego!

We're back from our WONDERFUL trip in San Diego where we learned a lot at the Children's Pastors' Conference and then, when we didn't have to be there, we were total beach bums. I even learned how to surf and had an awesome time!!! I can see how it would become a total addiction--something I MUST do more of in the future. I think I was supposed to live in San Diego. The weather is perfect! Not all hot and humid but wonderfully warm and slightly breezy.

San Diego is special to Brent and I because when he lived in Arizona, we went there on a lovely trip (a last-ditch effort on my part) and I was just sure he was going to tell me he loved me or ask me to marry him but, alas, he did neither really (sure, he hemmed and hawed but never came out and said either) and I hopped a plane home afterward and started moving on with my life. But, of course, now we know, he came home and got the girl but besides the disappointment on my part after it was over, we had the best time when we were there exactly a year before we were married. So, it was really fun to revisit the city now being married and much more secure in our relationship. We had a lot of laughs and "Remember when?" moments.

Beatle had a terrific birthday party. The weather was such a critical factor and it was just perfect. I don't know what my plan was but I can't believe I'm a mom to a 6-year-old!!

Been meaning to post this about Beatle--you know how she's so proud she's Native American? Well, she keeps getting it confused with Indians with a dot, not the feather. In her mind, they are the same. Then, that got us on the conversation of how some people are darker and some are lighter. She kept saying that we were more Indian than White and I was telling her, "No...you see, we're not very dark. We just have a little Indian in us." I was grasping for ways to explain this to her and then she suggested, "Is it like a cake? When you put in the vanilla, it's dark but you just put in a little and the cake still stays light?" "Yes! That's exactly it!" I love that girl. She has a way with words and food! A woman after my own heart! :)

Beatle had to miss school last week so we could go to San Diego and this week is her school's Spring Break so that lucky girl's had two weeks off. We'll see how she goes back. Hopefully, she'll be ready and we'll have had enough together time to put her heart at rest. I can't even tell you how much I love her being off school; maybe by the end of summer, I'll be ready for her to go back but we have had the best time during the day--crafts, kite flying, cooking, playing in the sprinkler, working in flower beds, etc. It may not seem like it but there's a grind that school puts on moms too--getting everyone out the door, lunch, forms, homework, and pick up. It's been fun to ditch that schedule this week.

We plan to go camping tomorrow for the first time since Birdie. (We took last summer off.) And definitely not since Baby. It shall be interesting!! We're not doing anything too serious--just 30 min away, hot dogs at night, donuts in the morning--that sort of thing.

Gotta go meet BR to get a new phone...mine's totally jacked up. Oh, and Baby's first birthday is next weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I am going to really love this!!! This is just the kind of news I love. I have a new hobby!

    ReplyDelete