Thursday, December 8, 2011

Utah Peril

We were in the car the other afternoon and Beatle bursts out singing "Deck the Halls" but it's so funny because in these Christmas Carols there are a lot of old fashioned words that are hard for kids to get right. "...la, la, la, la. Join the ancient Utah peril. Fa, la, la, la..." "What did you just sing?" "Join the ancient Utah peril." "Oh!" I laughed a little. "What?" "Well, it's actually Join the ancient Yule-tide carol." She tried to say it a few times slowly but kept flubbing it up. With an exaggerated twang she said, "Oh mom, I'm just too cou-ntry to say it right."


The next evening, we were at the Fitness Ministry's Christmas gathering and before the meal our Minister of Activities was going to pray. I was feeding Jasmine on the bleachers while the rest of the fam had sat at a table across the gym. The minister, obviously emotional, started with "Lord Jesus, we celebrate you and only you this season." Then, from the peanut gallery, I hear Birdie, "NooooOOOOOOO!" and not long after, the supressed, church giggles being forced through Beatle's nose while her lips stayed buttoned. Oh my gosh, I can't take them ANYWHERE! :)

Christmas is kicking our butts. Last night, I went and did my churchly duties but as soon as my part was over, I loaded the girls up and went home early. Beatle's been extremely emotional everyday; everything just seems to be overwhelming to her right now. I can't blame her; when she leaves the house, sometimes she won't be back for 12 hours--that's too much for a 6-year-old. Brent and I have agreed that we are going to tag-team parties--someone stays home with the girls while the other goes to the necessary party.

We were asked to light the Advent Candles on Sunday morning. I made no promises that Birdie would mind. Honestly, I can't wait to see what happens. Plus, Mom just got the girls Christmas dresses and new shoes so I know that they will look well groomed (that's a rarity!). I can't decide if we are going to take Jasmine up there with us or not. Probably so...she's doing just about everything else with us!

A friend came over and helped get my sewing machine situated so I could make stockings. We haven't had proper stockings which wasn't a problem until...Christmas is at MY HOUSE this year! I've been a busy little elf. But Beatle's totally freaking out because we have NO presents under the tree and John just preached a sermon asking "Why do we give gifts to each other when it's Jesus' birthday?" I should have given her a paper bag to breathe into. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment