Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Black-Eyed Birdie

I had resolved not to tell Beatle when she was released from the doctor to do cartwheels or handstands and just wait until she felt the urge again...and it happened two days ago, right on schedule with his orders. I guess, as much as it is annoying to have her flipping all over the place, I did miss it and was a little nervous that the stage was officially over. But now we are back to our house feeling much like Shawn Johnson's Bounty commercials. Do you ever forget God's in control? I do! As much as I love what Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace has done for us, we still are living solely on a minister's budget with a wife that loves travelling and a husband that has things that follow him home from unsupervised trips to the store. ("How did that get in here?") :) And, I don't know about you, but I have alligator arms that find it hard to reach in my pockets when it comes to boring, necessary, grown-up purchases (tires, air conditioning filters, appliance repairs). I only share these things because I often need the reminder that He's in control. Every summer, our AC is like the Little Air Conditioner that Could. We hold our breath and try not to work it too hard. Last year, we got a part replaced and he said, "It could last 2 months or another 10 years." Well, in April, on a trial run, it wasn't working--just blowing but not cold. We shut it off and spent the month of April with windows open. I was just sick about it. I really was contemplating going without an AC for the summer...I mean, it IS a luxury for most of the world and a relatively new invention! Brent wasn't really on board with that notion (probably because he knows how hysterical I get when I'm hot). Well, I tried it again the other day and it worked! It's been working beautifully ever since. Could it break in a week? Probably but what a blessing! Then, Brent's jeep has been acting all screwy but we both know nothing when it comes to cars. Our minds were going to a dark place--a new transmission?? Yesterday, he called to have them tow it to the shop and the lady over the phone diagnosed it for him (we love our mechanic shop!!!) as being low on clutch fluid (Brent was leary that she was just setting him up to check for something that didn't exist, like blinker fluid). But, using the same fluid they had given us for the van two years ago, Brent was able to fix the jeep! Again, these things could all give out tomorrow but but knowing that He provided for yesterday, reminds me that he will provide for tomorrow. Birdie's eye has been horrible ever since her stumble last week. It was completely black but it's finally fading a little. These two scraggly men at Wal-Mart (give me two scraggly men any day over little, old know-it-all ladies!) were remarking to one another, "She's got a shiner." "Yeah, but I'd hate to see the other kid." Love it! Last night, I was looking for my keys. I had really been willy-nilly with my stuff a few months ago so I had resolved to be better and was truly puzzled that I had misplaced my keys. I told Brent about it and he said, "Oh, you probably left them in the key basket on the fitness ministry desk." "Wait...what? I NEVER put them in the basket." Then he sheepishly realized that not only did HE leave MY keys in the fitness ministry basket at church but he gave it away to me. He said I left them in the jeep but I reminded him that I stayed behind at the jeep (because I was feverishly looking for my keys!) and he went in first to the church. I never left them anywhere! He stole them! Don't you just love it when you win a playful and rousing game of "Who's right and who's wrong?" I know I do! :) So, two life dreams accomplished in two weeks! I got to use a zero-turn radius lawn mower to mow a yard. SO MUCH FUN! I was cheesing the whole time. And a picture of the girls is now hanging in a portrait studio. I walked in to pick up my picture order and said, "Hey, I know those girls!" That was beyond cool. There's just nothing that endears yourself to someone as when they cherish your kids or think they are as beautiful and wonderful as you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment