Thursday, May 3, 2012

My School's Dis-Stricter Than Your School

My old computer is not handling these Blogger updates well. One of the things it won't do is separate my paragraphs so it just looks like I've typed a running stream of consciousness. Sorry! Beatle did great on her solo. She was praying the night before, "God, I need your help to do this. It's not like I can just go up to Mrs. Edgin now and tell her I can't do my solo. There's no turning back and I'm so scared." But on the day of the program, she did great! She went to the crystal mines yesterday with her class and came home absolutely filthy but proudly hauling a bag of crystals she found. She's been scrubbing and scrubbing those things on the backporch to make them shine. She estimates that it will take about three days total to get them ship-shape. :) Yesterday, at Game Night, one of the girls was talking about how strict her school is and Beatle said, "Yes, that's why they call it 'our school dis-strict'." Bahaha! We all just laughed and laughed. We are just days away from summer! Yay! Can't wait to have Beatle at home. Poor Birdie busted her face this morning. She was being my "friend" in the bathroom and didn't give enough room for the step out of our tub and she stumbled into it, cracking the side of her face on the tub. This is her worst boo-boo to date. Her eye is almost swollen shut and it's cut a little on the side. It is awful! I feel so bad for her! Thinking about last weekend in Oklahoma, she kept my dad busy swinging her outside. That girl can log some hours in the swing! We had such a wonderful trip to OK--visiting with family, celebrating Dad's retirement, Becky's birthday and Zac being home. It was laid-back and truly enjoyable. Last night, I had a life-changing moment. I'm not going to spend too much time talking about it because I don't want to cheapen what I experienced and I don't think you can truly understand unless you go through it--I know I didn't. I was asked to wear full Muslim garb (burka/imbya) for the 3rd and 4th grade girls class. I thought, "No big deal. I'll help out and play dress up." I was fine but when she put the veil on me--the full, black veil--I really almost lost it. I never saw that emotion coming! The only thing showing were the top two joints on my fingers. It wasn't so much pity for the women that have to wear that daily, I mean, that was there but it was extreme appreciation for the fact that I can be ME! I can wear what I want, I can do what I want, I can vote, I have a college education and my girls can do all of those things too. I always thought I was thankful...and I think I was, but it was without understanding what life really could be like.

1 comment:

  1. so sad we missed you guys on this trip to oklahoma!!!

    ReplyDelete