Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Kindergarten Group Picture and 32 Stitches Have What in Common?

This morning, a friend of ours hosted a Kindergarten Kickoff swim party at the Country Club. We were very excited to go...it's not everyday you get invited to something besides a birthday party! I love celebrating special moments in life! I got kind of choked up when they all got together for their group picture but not for the reason most mom's would. Obviously, it was a surreal moment when they got together just to notice how much they've grown since we moved here two summers ago but more than that, it made me think of my childhood. I grew up in the same house and went to the same school my whole life. Some of these parents will be showing this picture at their kids' Senior Slideshow or putting it in their Senior yearbooks. Will this group of kids be looking at this picture someday and be thinking to themselves about Beatle, "Who is that girl?"

We're obviously happy where we are at the moment and feel like we'll be here awhile but we have no guarantees that we'll be here until she graduates High School. It kind of broke my heart that, as much as I loved my childhood, I'm probably not going to be able to give the same thing to Beatle and Birdie.

I remember some seminary friends talking to us about how it was defintely a step in grieving, after they surrendered to become missionaries, that they would never have the ideal American, white-picket fence life for themselves and their future children. They adjusted to that idea and they have been in India for three years now. I just got an email from them referencing an incident where their toddler fell and gashed his head (32 stitches!) and they were waiting an impossibly long time in their car on the way to the hospital for a giant herd of goats to cross the road. Definitely not what she probably imagined her life to be like when she was growing up! When you are young though it's en vouge to be adventurous but as you get a little older and have kids most people slow down and want to plant roots. I feel like my heart walks a line in Hot Springs of planting roots here and knowing we might be called to uproot someday. I wished my heart could just let go, settle and connect 100%...maybe that is the reason why I got asked if I was happy a lot in OK. Maybe my family could just sense that in me...I don't know. Anyways, Thursday's the big day for Beatle. Tomorrow night is Open House. Exciting times in the life of the Robertses.

I feel like my last two blogs have been incessant ramblings because of all the interruptions I get while blogging! :) Even from BR when I do it at night. Oh well! Such is the life of a mother.

2 comments: