Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My New Normal

Hehe. So...I'm better. My last post was definitely emotional and it didn't help that later that first day the bus was 30 minutes late bringing my bay-bee home. I was ready to issue an Amber Alert but things are better now; we've settled into a groove. I'm enjoying my time at home with Birdie knowing that Beatle is safe and sound at school. Plus, BR is keeping me hopping with all types of home improvement projects. The man is relentless when he gets something in his head! I told him that he's like Noah--out back (or in my living room lately) constructing away and although I may ridicule or not understand him at the time, in the end, I'm going to wish I was on the boat. For instance, he constructed the entryway bench/cubbies of my dreams with just $60 and a spark of creativity--using an old door and a waterbed frame he found at the Restore. It's been good for me to do something consuming while we get settled in this new routine.

Got some funny stories for ya. School is always prime material for Beatle's antics and her take on things. The mascot for Hot Springs is the Black and Gold Trojans. In P.E. their first day, they learned a chant and she came home and wanted to show us. B's version went a little something like this: "Gol-den Ro-dents (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap) Gol-den Ro-dents" Hysterical! There's also a kid in her class with a non-contagious condition where he has blisters all over his skin. :( Some other kid in her class was asking (in a rude way), "What is that? Chicken Pox?" B said, "I was sooo mad at him! I thought, 'Boy, you say that one more time and I'm going to blow you up, twist you into a balloon animal and pop you.'" bahaha! Never heard of that in my life but what a visual! Yesterday, I was telling her how proud I was that she hasn't gotten her name under the "sad face" side of the board yet. Well, she informed me that I spoke too soon. She asked, "I didn't know that karate wasn't allowed at school, did you?" My daughter got in trouble for showing a boy her Spongebob karate moves. After more investigating, she was supposed to be doing something else but she still swears that karate is NOT allowed at school. I'll take her word for it.

Yesterday was a very exciting day. I've let Beatle ride the bus home and I've picked her up--both experiences weren't great but she still really likes riding the bus so I'm still letting her (much to her father and Aunt Becky's dismay). Yesterday, I greeted her when she got off the bus and she whispered to me that she had something to tell me but didn't want to hurt DJ's feelings (older boy across the street) so she would wait until we got inside. As soon as the door shut, she had quite the tale to tell--all wide-eyed with lots of hand movements, she told me that a boy started a fight with DJ while they were in the gym waiting to be put on the bus. She said she was minding her own business when she felt the bleachers shaking and she turned around and the scuffle was right behind her. I can't even begin to do it justice but it was the most hilarious story I've heard her tell in awhile. You could tell she was wildly excited by all of the commotion she had just witnessed. BR's response to the story, "And that is exactly why I don't want my daughter riding the bus." :)

One of the days I did pick Beatle up, she got right in the car and quickly announced that her school is "st-ri-ct". She wanted a drink before they went to sit outside and wait on us but they wouldn't let her, citing they didn't have time. One of her friends' older brothers (a scrawny 5th grader with an anxiety disorder whom we LOVE) saw Beatle pining after a drink and offered to quickly help her get one but couldn't lift her up. I still crack up at the image of him, weighing only about 15 lbs more, struggling and trembling to lift her up in a moment of kids trying to stick it to the man but alas, his poor biceps failed and the man won again but there were whispers of defiance and promises of a bottled water after school the following day.

Gosh, I have still so many stories but for another time, I suppose!

3 comments:

  1. i want to see pictures of those cubbies! you're so lucky to be married to a man who knows how to handle himself on the home construction scene. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh. i am laughing so hard. please continue with the stories. they are hysterical. AND i think i am with br on the bus riding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two things-
    1.I HAVE to see Brent's cubbies. HAVE. TO.

    2.I love that's she tells great stories like you! One of my favorite memories of us is at a lock in where we just talked and talked and you told us a story about riding the bus home and when it stopped at your house your cows were out in the field... well, you know the story. If you think about it, the bus is actually just giving her a chance to really hone in on her storytelling skills. :)

    ReplyDelete