Monday, January 23, 2012

Pancakes, Pajamas and Puke!







What a fun but busy weekend! Whew! I sometimes worry about too much but this weekend I was really trying to make an effort to enjoy Birdie's party and not get caught up stressing about the little things. I think I was successful! We got a lot of pajamas for Potter's Clay (a shelter for women and children) and it was fun to fill the clothesline up with the jammies people brought. Plus, a brilliant sidenote that I didn't think of until after the party, but Birdie's got a bad case of the "Mine!"s so I'm really glad I didn't have to break up any baby fights over new toys.

The party started off with a bang. I decided about 45 minutes early to start the pancakes and keep them warm. Well, my schmancy cake batter pancakes weren't holding together (panslop, anyone??) and I was flat out of flour. So, panic started setting in a little until I found some self-rising flour in my freezer. Then, a family arrived a few minutes early and he was really excited, his mom said, but as soon as he got out of the car, he wasn't himself. We found out why when he threw up all over our couch a few minutes later! We puke everywhere we go so I can't be mad at the guy. I was trying to be accommodating and sweet but I really needed him and his puke stench to leave before my other guests arrived!!! Nothing says, "Welcome to my home" or "Who's ready to party?" like the smell of puke and birthday pancakes mingling. I felt so sorry for the little boy but would you believe that we were able to clean it all up, give them a craft for the road, their favors, spray air freshener and sanitize the door handles before anyone else arrived??? It was a birthday miracle! I found it ironic that the card they brought for Birdie said, "Hope your birthday is full of surprises!" Oh it was! :)

We had such a great time. All the adults got along and we chatted forever while the kids played (and there was no fighting between them! another bday miracle!). We colored on tables, did Fruit Loop necklaces, ate the fun cake-cakes, jumped on an air mattress in the living room and made Birdie feel special. A party well done, I'd say. It was easy, breezy fun. Bailey stayed longer for a more mature playdate with Beatle afterwards.

All week, we've been asking Birdie, "Whose birthday is it?" She's point to herself and say, "La-La" We'd ask, "How old are you?" Holding up a whole hand, she says, "Mmmm two!" When I tried to show her how to hold up two fingers and folded her others down, she said, "Ewwww!" haha! We're not sure about why that's ewww.



New developments about Jasmine: At court on Wednesday, they decided that she would go and live with her aunt, who is great so we feel good about the decision. It's a tiny bit sad but we knew that was a very real option. She's supposed to go sometime this week. In other news, when we were at the courthouse, I found out earlier that day, they closed the case with baby JJ that we had this summer. He's healthy, with his mom who's got a great job and gotten rid of the bad influences in her life. (She's an older mom so I really think she's got her priorities straight this time.) It sounds like a happy ending and that made me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment