Monday, September 19, 2011

Gender Bender

There are three moments in my life where my gender has come in to question--once when I was about 4 and my cousin with flowing locks and ornate bows made me doubt my new 'do because apparently I was a boy since my hair was cut short. The second time, I was 11 and on vacation with my family, wearing red shorts with a nautical striped red and white shirt and chin-length hair that was still wet from the pool. I was crushed when the waitress asked, "And what would you like to drink, sir?" Seriously, that was one of the most deflating moments of my life, to which, my dad still laughs his big laugh about. And the third one happened yesterday. Yes, even after puberty, marriage and two children, I still felt the sting when a 9-year-old boy (who, mind you, still screams better than most girls) called me "dude" and when I answered his questions and then added before turning on my heels, "And, by the way, I'm not a dude." He yelled out, I'm guessing to get the approval of the other boys he was with, "Well, you look like a dude with your haircut." I'm not a very mature person but I did exercise restraint because all I wanted to do was turn around, charge him and bend him into a pretzel when I got my hands on him. I did come back after I cooled down and made him apologize for his comment--that's the great part about being an adult. Beatle's been dying to grow her hair out like "all" the other girls but neither of us are very consistent about fixing it so it looks wild a lot. I think she looks darling with short hair but I guess yesterday was a reminder to be understanding with gender identity. If she feels like she looks more like a girl with longer hair, then so be it. We just need to be more disciplined with grooming it!

Pretty much everyone knows the rule: If your whole name is used, then you are in serious trouble. We go around saying, "Charlotte Odessa!" multiple times a day. The other day, Beatle and I were bantering and, exasperated, she exclaimed,"Momma Odessa!" That was a first! I must have been in REAL SERIOUS trouble when someone else's middle name was used!

Brent and I had somehow switched sides of the bed sometime back and I've been sleeping closest to the door; I think it had to do with me getting up with Birdie to feed her in the middle of the night. Anyways, I watch a lot of crime shows and, being the man, I think he should sleep closest to the door! (I'm twisted and think WAY too much about exit strategies, reactions during crisis situations, etc!) The other night, I petitioned the change and the new policy went into affect until he got up to use the restroom and came back to bed and flopped down right down on top of me!! The sad part is, I was so tired that I just barely remembered it when he brought it up the next morning at breakfast. We had a good laugh about the whole thing. I kind of have a feeling that if there is an intruder no matter what side of the bed I'm on, as heavy as I sleep, I'll be toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment