Monday, September 26, 2011

Hot, hot, hot...96.2much2soon

Beatle's grounded. On this quest of trying to raise our girls to have a close relationship with the Lord but to not be total dorks, we still have to draw the line somewhere. If you recollect, this time last year we had a 60th birthday bash for my dad complete with a karaoke machine that the kids totally hijacked and no one really got to experience the full glory of a night serenaded by me. Anywhoo, there were some questionable songs sang by young cousins and thankfully Beatle knew none of them. But my, how a year has changed things. A recent uncomfortable moment for me was when Beatle busted out in the lyrics, "skinny-dipping in the dark" sitting between a set of grandparents. I'm putting it all out there when I say that KLOVE is very repetitive and kind of lame. It has it's place--it's positive, encouraging, easy listening. :) Beatle and I like to get funky. She's a dancer; she's gotta move. Somehow Top 40 has infiltrated our lives slowly but surely--through the car, gymnastics, stores, etc. And while the beats are great and the hooks are catchy, it's not the stuff that should be filling my mind and definitely not my 6-year-old. Beatle acts like our local station, Hot 96.7, pays her to promote it. I hear her talk about it, ask me to change the station to it, and wonder aloud if we will listen to it in the car about 10 times a day. It's gotten to be overkill so in a lesson of discipline she's not allowed to listen to it for 2 days. Meanwhile, Brent and I are on a quest to introduce her to the great CDs we loved and new ones that send the positive messages we want her to be singing.

1 comment: