Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Big Day!

Friday was Beatle's Pre-K Graduation. We are so proud of her! My husband's role in the graduation ceremony every year is to do the welcome and this year since Beatle was one of the "graduates", the Preschool Director wanted Beatle to introduce him and another girl to do the opening prayer. (This girl announced that Birdie was a "hairball" the first time I brought Birdie up to the school. haha!) Well, the prayer girl chickened out the day before graduation so they were going to have Beatle do that as well. When it came right down to it, the 200 or more people that were there got to see a very rare instance in which Beatle got shy. She looked like she would have climbed on top of BR if she could have! BR played it off really well and the two of them just had fun up there and after a few minutes on stage, her nerves settled and she did the prayer. It was a neat day for our family. I left Birdie at daycare so we could give our undivided attention to Beatle. We took the Jeep afterwards to wherever Beatle wanted to eat lunch to celebrate...turned out to be Burger King. :) She was a cheap date.

Her teacher (you know, the one that "donked" her on the head?) kept a binder that contained samples of her work, pictures, poems, and special projects they did throughout the year and it was amazing to see her transformation documented like that. So amazing in fact, that I bawled like a baby when I went through it! I'm glad that Beatle wasn't around to see that. I want her to grow up because that's what kids are supposed to do and I don't want her to ever feel like growing up is bad but sometimes I just can't believe how fast it happens!

After the ceremony and after lunch, we finished getting our things together and picked Birdie up from her last day at daycare (because my last day of work is the 28th!). We met my folks in Ft. Smith where we did a hand-off because during my last week of work the girls will be with grandparents in Oklahoma.

To explain more about staying at home, this is something we've considered since shortly after Birdie was born. The whole time I was pregnant, I didn't give much thought to staying at home--I just knew I was returning back to work. But a switch had flipped inside me since having her and I did return to work but my heart was at home. I never in a million years understood how hard it would be for me to go back to work. I'm not going to spend time blogging about working vs. staying at home, it's an emotionally charged issue and everyone makes their own decisions. However, we're starting a new chapter in our family's book and we're all very excited for me to make the transition back home for many different reasons. The main two: We know from experience with Beatle, kids grow up so fast and the other is we just feel like it will help bring peace to our home and to help refocus our attention to ministry (which is why we moved here in the first place!).

Tomorrow, we attend our first meeting to become foster parents. We're excited because this is something we've been wanting for over 2 years and it seems like the timing might finally be right! Keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment