Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Shot Shock

Staying at home the past two days has been wonderful! We've had such good times already and something interesting is happening; Beatle is being so much more affectionate to me. I never dreamed that would be a result of this change or that it would happen so quickly but it has and I'm soaking it up. She was a little thrown off when we went to church yesterday to work out and she saw the kids at the preschool playing on the playground. I don't know if she knew what to think yet.

If there has been one thing that's been exasperating, it would be that when Beatle knows we are going to do something, that's what I hear about all day. While I'm thankful for the enthusiasm, it can wear on me. I'm in the process of teaching her how to tell time. I think it could do nothing but help. (Sidenote: She was supposed to go to the Country Club and swim with some friends yesterday evening while we went to our foster meeting and we got word late in the afternoon that some little boy pooped in the pool and they shut it down for the day. Beatle collapsed into sobs, which she quickly got over, and announced that "That boy is rotten! He ruined everything!")

Tomorrow is Kindergarten Camp for Beatle. I really just think they are slapping a fancy name on a morning of screening. For a mom, it kind of feels like it's NFL draft day for my kid. I know I won't get the results until August but I can't help but think that the teachers are scoping out the kids and doing deals with each other to get the ones they want. (Amanda, am I just totally making this up or does this really happen?) Whether it's true or not, you can bet she will be dressed better than normally and her hair will be done (which only happens on the rarest of occasions). I've been trying to talk it up to her but what she doesn't know, ahem, didn't know was that after that, I have her appointment scheduled to get her "Kindergarten" shots. Both the girls are going to the doctor for shots. Yay me!

The last time she got a shot, she expressed to me that she didn't like the shock of it and wanted to be forewarned. I figured that tactic wouldn't make for a good experience either but I wanted to grant her her wish. The amount of time before the appointment, however, I wanted to be thoughtful about because I didn't want her to worry herself too much. Mainly, I just didn't want to hear about it all day for days on end.

This morning after working out, I was talking to breath-club-boy's mom (geez, I hope she never finds out about this blog! He's in just about every bloody post!) and told her, while the kids were off playing together, about my scheme--Kinder Camp in the A.M., Kinder shots in the P.M. We started talking about some other things and the kids had wandered back over when she said, "I'll be happy to watch Birdie while you take Beatle to the doctor tomorrow afternoon." And I said, "Oh, thank you but Birdie's going to get shots too." And it all came crumbling down around me. Beatle's head snapped up and she cried out, "I'm going to get shots tomorrow?!?!" The other mother's eyes were as wide as Beatle's when she mouthed, "I'm so sorry." It was fine. I was the one to give the game away. I had to deal with this. There have been tears in the last 12 hours and there will most definitely be more to come. I wasn't ready to tell her that early but she wanted to know in advance, now here's her chance to show me she's big. Also, there's a $5 bill for her too if she's brave (and I don't have to call BR to the doc's office for back-up!). What could have been a fun day tomorrow will unavoidably be clouded with dread. Bummer...

2 comments:

  1. We don't have kindergarten camp here; I would love to know what it entailed. And at our school we have no say in our lists. They come down from the admin. You just get whatcha get! (Maybe I should move to Hot Springs?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, yeah...you should! One of the many reasons! :) Hmm...well, Brendle said that they were in a group and talked to the teachers and then, the classroom assistants watched the kids while the teacher pulled them aside one-on-one. At pick up time, they gave us a little evaluation form and how our child scored in developmental areas and then a guide on what they were looking for in those areas and how we could improve this summer. Shocking, but she did not get a perfect score. This may just be the beginning of these teachers not knowing just how talented my child really is... :) No, it's just the beginning of me realizing how average my child is (and I say that in the most positive way possible).

    ReplyDelete